We’re putting rasher in the spotlight this week with some delicious recipes to share with all the family. The distinctive savoury flavor packs a serious punch in such a wide range of dishes from main meals to desserts to snacks. Let’s get cooking with Denny!
1. Easy Cheesy Bacon Bread:
Who knew that just a few simple ingredients could make something as special as this! This Easy Cheesy Bacon Bread is made to share and is an ideal snack to keep your dinner party guests satisfied until dinner.
You will need:
- 1 large loaf of French, Italian or sourdough bread
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 Denny Traditional Rashers
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups Grated Mozzarella
- Coriander to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Using a serrated knife, cut a cross-hatch pattern into the bread. Slice 1/2-inch grid lines into the bread by slicing it lengthwise then widthwise without cutting all the way through the base of the bread. You want it to stay together.
- Mix the melted butter and garlic together. Gently separate the bread with your fingers and drizzle the melted garlic butter mixture in between the cuts. Make sure the entire loaf gets drizzled with the butter mixture.
- Place the loaf of bread on a piece of tin foil that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Wrap the bread half way up. Cover the top with a separate piece of ungreased foil. Place on a large baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and take off the top piece of foil.
- Meanwhile, chop the Denny Traditional Rashers into bite sized pieces (a scissors is useful for this).
- Gently pry apart the bread and stuff the rasher into the crevices. Next, stuff the mozzarella into the crevices, making sure all of the bread is evenly stuffed with rasher and cheese. There is a lot of cheese, but keep stuffing! It will all fit. Sprinkle the scallions over the top, pushing them gently into the bread.
- Place the bread back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with coriander, if desired. Remove the bottom piece of foil and serve warm.
2. Chocolate Covered Rashers:
Believe it or not these indulgent little treats are the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. They’re super easy to make and are sure to be the talking piece of any dinner party. Give them a try!
You will need:
- 340g Dark Chocolate Chopped
- 11 Denny Streaky Rashers
- Caramel Sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line baking tray with parchment paper and lay out 11 rasher individually. Bake until crispy, (approximately 12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Once the rashers are cooked and crispy, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, Break each rasher in half. Dip the rashers in dark chocolate and set individually on a tray of parchment paper. Now you have the option to decorate as you please. We recommend drizzling some caramel sauce on top. White chocolate works well too.
- Chill for one hour and serve.
3. Maple Cured Rasher Stir Fry:
We’re putting our own spin on the popular chicken stir fry by using Denny’s delicious Maple Cured Rashers. The maple flavor of the rashers perfectly complements this dish and is bound to be a hit with all the family. This recipe serves two but you can double the ingredients if there are more mouths to feed.
You will need:
- 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 6 Denny Maple Cured Rashers
- Handful of pine nuts
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 4cm ginger finely chopped
- 100g baby corn
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti
- 1 red chili thinly sliced
- Soy sauce to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wok and fry the chopped rasher for 2 minutes. Tip in the pinenuts, garlic cloves, baby corn and ginger. Stir fry until lightly browned.
- Stir in the spinach, chili and cooked spaghetti and cook for a further 3 minutes until everything is heated through. Add the remaining oil and stir in the soy sauce to taste. Serve warm.
4. Bacon Popcorn:
Satisfy those salt cravings with this flavorsome popcorn treat. Be warned, it will be gone quickly!
You will need:
- 8 cups plain yellow kernel popcorn, popped
- 8 slices Denny Traditional Rashers
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pop 8 cups of yellow kernel popcorn, according to the package instructions, then place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place rashers on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Save rasher drippings. Once the rasher is cool, break or cut it into small pieces.
- In a medium sized pan, melt butter over medium heat. Allow butter to brown until tiny brown specks appear and a nutty aroma develops. Once butter has browned, turn heat to low and whisk in maple syrup, half of the rasher drippings, half of the rasher pieces and salt.
- Pour butter syrup over popcorn and fold over to evenly coat. Add remaining rasher pieces on top of the butter and serve.
5. Hickory Smoked Rasher and Cheese Potatoes:
Whether you serve them as the main course or as a side dish, these Denny Hickory Smoked Rasher and Cheese Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and are an exciting change to the humble roast spud. If you’re feeling adventurous we recommend drizzling them with some crème fraiche.
You will need:
- 4 large Rooster potatoes, washed
- 60g butter sliced thinly
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 225g Cheese of Choice (we used Mature White Cheddar)
- 8 Denny Hickory Smoked Rashers cooked and chopped.
- Place the potatoes on a cutting board and slice about 3/4 of the way through. We recommend inserting wooden skewers lengthwise in the base of the potato to avoid cutting all the way through. Cut to about ½ centimetre thickness. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and place a piece butter in every few slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about 1 hour.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. By now they will have opened up so you can stuff the cheese and bacon into the slices. Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm.